Home NEWS by SERIES F1 F1 : Double DRS concept to be banned by Formula 1 governing body for 2013 season
F1 : Double DRS concept to be banned by Formula 1 governing body for 2013 season E-mail
Wednesday, 01 August 2012 10:22
The technical concept known in the Formula One paddock this year as 'double DRS' looks set to be banned for 2013.

Mercedes AMG debuted the controversial straight line dual drag reducing speed boosting concept earlier this year on their F1 W03, moving Lotus F1 to lodge an official protest.

But instead of taking the FIA's decision to allow Mercedes to keep the system to the international court of appeal, Lotus emerged with a new interpretation of a passive 'double DRS' on their E20 during practice at Hockenheim recently.

The team practised with the system on Kimi Raikkonen's car again at the Hungaroring, technical boss James Allison saying the tests helped "bring it a step closer to deployment in a race sometime in the future".

Speculation suggests Lotus will indeed debut it at the forthcoming Belgian Grand Prix, with Spa Francorchamps undoubtedly Raikkonen's favourite track, and the system said to provide a good advantage on the long straights.

"Spa has always agreed with Kimi," former Finnish driver Mika Salo told the broadcaster MTV3, "and if the updates improve what is already the best car, he will be looking very good if he is able to start from the first two rows."

Media headlines at Marca (Spain), Turun Sanomat (Finland), Globo Esporte (Brazil) and elsewhere, however, say the entire 'double DRS' concept looks set to be banned for 2013.

F1SA.com
 
OVER 18 YEARS OF SERVICE TO ALL PASSIONATE F1 AND MOTOR SPORT SUPPORTERS
Informing those in the know who want to know even more
Dedicated to: Rudolf Ray +++ 14 April 2002 to 7 September 2007 +++
Stelios Avgerinos +++ 23 November 1931 to 4 February 2014 +++
fosa